What Is the Mediterranean Diet
The Mediterranean Diet is a nutritional model which is considered of such international cultural importance that UNESCO, the Educational and Scientific Organisation of the United Nations, has declared it in 2013 an “Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity”. (For sources, see the references at the end of this article.)
UNESCO describes the Mediterranean Diet as involving a set of skills, knowledge and traditions about crops, harvesting, conservation, processing, cooking, and particularly the sharing of food.
Eating together is fundamental to the Mediterranean culture of food, is an important moment of social life and communication, an affirmation of family or community identity, it’s central to festivals, events and celebrations. It emphasises values of hospitality and neighbourliness.
Craftsmanship and techniques for the production, preservation and consumption of food include ceramic plates and glasses. respect for seasonal rhythms, markets. All this is transmitted to each new generation, and so the tradition continues.
This ideal picture has partly been eroded in Italy in recent decades, but, whereas in other countries the tradition of family meals has received massive attacks, in Italy it still resists more strongly than elsewhere in the Western world.
UNESCO on Mediterranean Diet
Where to Buy Mediterranean Foods and Ingredients on the Internet
IN THE UK
- In the UK you can find Monini, one of the few and rare-to-find real extra virgin olive oil brands on Amazon (opens in new tab):
- Click on this Amazon UK link for Monini oil’s various bottles and packs sizes (opens in new tab):Monini Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- If you don’t have much time to cook, a healthier alternative to take-aways – over whose use of ingredients you have no control, and which tend to overuse salt, saturated fats and other unhealthy in high doses but convenient ingredients – is Gousto
Gousto is a service delivering at your home nice, fresh ingredients that you select from a menu of recipes. They will give you the cooking instructions too, so you can have a varied, restaurant-style multitude of dishes that you can prepare at home following the recipes.It’s like eating at a restaurant for high-quality, deliciousness and variety, but with a control over the ingredients that you don’t have when you eat outside. And good ingredients are particularly important when it comes to health.Gousto has been voted by The Guardian newspaper the No 1 Ingredients Delivery Service.Some of Gousto’s dinners, epecially the Quick and Easy Recipes , take less than 15 minutes or 20 minutes to prepare at home, less time than it takes for a takeaway to arrive. They have Tuscan, Persian, Thai, Indian, Mexican, Texan, vegetarian, Chinese, Vietnamese.There are also family-friendly meals.If you love food, follow the Gousto blog too.
IN THE USA
- In the USA you can find Monini, one of the few and rare-to-find real extra virgin olive oils on Amazon in various bottle and pack sizes (open in new tab):Monini Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- You can also buy Mediterranean foods from Amazon at this link:Mediterranean Foods
- You can buy online Bertolli and Filippo Berio olive oils from Peapod, America’s largest online internet grocery shopping and delivery service. Peapod also has many other brands of olive oils, extra virgin and non, including organic, both original and imported. You can use it at anytime, day or night, for quality groceries, and it will make you save time, money, and the hassles of waiting in line. Peapod services Chicagoland, Milwaukee, S.E. Wisconsin, Indianapolis, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, Southern New Hampshire, Maryland, Virginia, Washington, DC, Philadelphia, S.E. Pennsylvania: Peapod Online Grocery Shopping
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil at VitaminShoppe